Beetroot and carrot soup
I have already made this soup once and it was very tasty so I have decided to use the three beetroots I managed to grow this year to give it another go. One gigantic beetroot was old, but those remaining two were just fine. The subtle sweet taste will make it suitable for children, which should also be attracted by the lovely colour. I found this recipe somewhere on the internet and kept for the future, so if somebody has found out, I acknowledge that this is not my original recipe.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, cohped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 medium beetroots, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Warm olive oil in a large saucepan, then add onions and garlic. Cook until soft, but not browned. Stir in beetroot and carrots and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in stock and seasoning (salt&pepper). Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for about 20-30 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool little.
- Using a blender blend until smooth.
- Gently heat before serving.
Instead of olive oil I used a coconut oil. It wonderfully matches the earthy flavor of the beetroot.