Lean steak on curried vegetables – almost a paleo recipe.
This dinner is very easy and quick to make and there is a room for innovation, too. I tend to keep some frozen vegetables in the freezer and I sometimes put those sliced green beans into a korma or similar meal to make it lighter and more nutritious. The chopped carrots and swede mix also came handy on several occasions, such as Thai curry. Now I have decided to blend these together as a perfect accompaniment to my lean steak.
Ingredients (1 portion):
- lean steak
- two cups of frozen carrot and swede mix (available in Iceland)
- one cup of frozen sliced green beans (more supermarkets have them)
- 1-2 teaspoons of medium curry mix (I have the orange Co-operative one)
- sesame seeds
- 2-3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- steak spice mix (optional)
- Heat oil in a non-stick pan and cook the carrot and swede mix to thaw.
- Add sesame seeds and the green beans. Cook for further 5-8 minutes. It is important not to overcook them to mushy consistence. Season with salt and the curry spice mix. Keep mixing and cooking. Occasional sesame seed may shoot off the pan but that is fine. I found one in my steak pan suddenly :).
- Between the step 1. and 2. heat the oil on the pan for the steak. Firstly brown the steak from both sides for a short while on a high heat and then reduce the heat to medium and cook it further to your preference (rare, medium, well done). I did not watch the time, I go by heart. For more information about how to cook a perfect steak click here. I kept turning mine quite frequently and it ended up rather medium. I do not salt my steak. I think the meat has enough flavor for that and the steak spice mix has some salt in it.
- Keep an eye on both pans and keep mixing the vegetables and turning the steak. Some light browning on the vegetables is not bad, it gives them some extra flavor. I prefer the steak not burned to black, this can have health consequences in a long run.
- Just before finishing, heat the plate in the microwave for 30 seconds or one minute.
- When the vegetables are done, put them in the center of the plate and place the steak on top.
I would call this meal paleo but the beans are confusing. Paleo people do not eat beans, but these are green beans. Where are we with this matter?